Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Winter break!

So, it's been exactly 2 weeks since I touched down on Malaysian soil. Time flies...1/3 of my winter break is already gone :(

2 weeks and I haven't done anything productive...all I've been doing is play Diablo 3 and snuggle with le bf. My 2012 winter holiday resolutions:

1. Clean my wardrobe, donate unwanted clothes to charity
2. Clean downstairs shelves and re-home the poor books lying on my floor collecting dust
3. Learn to speak like a gentle woman (I'm still loudspeaker-loud when I get excited, sigh)
4. Learn to drive
5. Practice drawing

How many of those have I done?
NOOOOOONNNNNEEEEEEEEEEE.

T___T

This happens every single holiday, but somehow I still hope for things (me) to change and actually DO something useful during my sem breaks.

Bleargh.

Anyway, I celebrated my 21st birthday party on the 2nd of June. I had a really good time, though I started out the day with 0 celebratory mood at all. I'm still really nervous about entertaining large groups of people, and feel apprehensive whenever I go out to meet friends. Logically, I shouldn't feel like this, but I DO and I don't really know why!


When I was about 15 or so, I always felt like I was the shit and all my friends loved me; I felt that I was the life of the party and while that may not actually be true, the important thing was that I FELT that way and behaved with much more confidence than I do nowadays. :/

Anyway I'm really happy that loads of my friends actually showed up (no lie, I was terrified that only my relatives would turn up) and I managed to get round to chatting with most of them this time. I won't pretend I'm an awesome host, because honestly I was pretty shit during most occasions at my house, where I would hide in my room the whole time and come down only to wave people goodbye. One big problem I used to have was having too many different groups of friends and not being able to entertain them all sufficiently (also, I'm always afraid that they wouldn't gel together well.)

But I guess now that we're all older, people actually do get along alright, so I don't feel so bad if I leave them alone for a while, while I go greet incoming guests. >_<

One thing I DID manage to get done this holiday was to build my awesome PC!

YAAAY!


I feel like I'm one of the few gamers who games on a laptop. -__- Now, I love my MacBook Pro although it feel like it's an absolute waste of money for the performance I got. (RMIT paid for it, so I don't feel as bad, but perhaps I should've invested in a higher end machine that was less pretty.)

But anyway, it's true that for the same price, a laptop can never perform as well as a PC.

Here are the specs for those tech junkies...I don't understand half of it. I'm a consumer who only cares about the end product; my bf's bro set up the specs for me so I wouldn't have to bother with research, and I'm very grateful for that :)

Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz

Motherboard: Asus X79 P9X79 (I don't think I typed that quite right, but I hope tech people will understand...why can't they give nice names to their products instead of a seemingly random string of letters and numbers??)

RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3

HDD: WD SATA III 1TB 7200rpm (wanted SSD, but the prices are still ridiculously high D:)

Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100 (woo, water-cooled!)

Casing: Corsair Carbide Series 500R

Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W

Graphic Card: Asus GTX 570 1280 MB DDR5

And all these cost RM 4950, fitting snugly within the 5k budget my mom gave me *___* (Please don't tell me if I've been ripped off, I'm so happy with my present right now so don't ruin it please)


I was ecstatic that my mom agreed to get me a gaming rig for my 21st birthday instead of a classic watch like my sister. Don't get me wrong, that watch is really pretty, but I don't wear watches at all...makes my wrist look even more like a stick. Although she said that a good watch is an investment that would last a lifetime and would eventually be an heirloom passed down to my children, she said it was better that I had something that made me happy. AND YES I AM SO SO HAPPY!



I originally budgeted 3-3.5k for a high performance PC, but my mom was an angel and said I could go all out and have a 5k budget, since it was a milestone birthday and all. Thanks mom! You're the best! :D

And you know what the best part was? I STILL got something that could last a lifetime and be passed down to my children: she bought me a white gold and diamond necklace. WHAAAAAAT? I get a PC AND a timeless gift as well?


On one hand, I'm standing here, cool and composed, wiping away a tear from my eye, being super grateful for having such a generous and loving mom. On the other, I'm dancing around celebrating and going NENENIBUBU at my sister who only got a watch for her 21st.

But that is very childish of me, so please pretend you didn't read the latter part.

Anyway now I can run Diablo 3 AND Borderlands with maximum specs SIMULTANEOUSLY with at least 60 fps. *wipes tears from eyes* After gaming with 10-30 fps on every game besides CS 1.6 and the original Dota, both of which are like 10 years old,  it was truly a touching moment to see my Fraps meter read 60 fps for new games for the first time ever. (Also, it doesn't overheat after 30 minutes of play.)


T___T

I swear, my life is so sweet right now that I promise to be more grateful all the time now.

I'm thankful for having such an awesome mom. I got enough angpao from my party to just cover the catering costs, so I offered it to my mom and she refused saying that it was my present for my 21st, so I should be the one spending it. T___T


I'm thankful for having a lovely bf who puts up with all my flaws and little insane moments and manages to be patient and caring through it all.


I'm grateful for having a sister who is generous enough to let me buy any e-reader I want and charge it to her account for my birthday T___T (I haven't bought it yet, cause I'm still waiting for Amazon to release the Kindle Fire 2, and they'd better release it internationally!)

I'm grateful for having friends who came for my party although some knew they would have no other friends here, some who came from very far, some who I haven't seen in a very long time, some who had other commitments but still took the time to see me anyway.

Viv, who came and didn't complain about me leaving her alone for extended periods of time among a bunch of strangers, and helped me cut my cake (very violently XD) and took the only pictures of my birthday.


Megan, who I haven't seen since primary, showed up with her bf Dinnish despite possibilities of awkwardness due to the time that's passed since we last met.

JK, who took me and the bf out for dinner because he couldn't make it to my party due to work.

My gaming family: Josh, Helena, Alex and Zerick for carpooling and coming together from places all around the world (joking, from Subang, Klang and Cheras) and getting hopelessly lost but didn't complain about it at all

My childhood yogi friends, who came all together despite having something to do earlier in the night. 3 of them had like, 9am flights the next morning and still came despite the fact that they hadn't packed their bags at all.

And all my other friends who showed up and hung out with me, even if it was only for a very short while.

I'm thankful for all my relatives showing up and mostly managing to refrain from commenting on my height and weight (this time, at least!)

So yes, I have a lot of things to be happy about right now, the latest of which is the fact that Megan has agreed to learn driving with me. WOOOOOOOOOOO I won't be alone, sitting awkwardly with eager 16- and 17-year olds now! XD

To show how thankful I am for having a wonderful and blessed life, I'm going to tick the stuff off my list up there, beginning with cleaning out my closet and donating my clothes to people who need it. :D I'm such a hoarder and I guess it's time I learn to let go.

Well, I will, if I don't get distracted by my beautiful new PC. I can actually play the CS:GO beta now, MONTHS after receiving my beta key! I'm loving the game and its community so far, people aren't assholes like in Garena and the casual mode is everything I didn't know I wanted in the game.

Casual mode means no friendly fire, no collision and full armor + ammo + defuse kits are pre-bought, so non-competitive people like me can just focus on the fun of running around and killing people on sight. Also, there are bots to fill the game up to 5v5 by default, and you can take over a bot after you die so you don't have to sit around waiting for the next round to start!

Of course there is competitive mode as well for those who prefer to play more seriously and strategize each round. But casual works perfectly for me and hopefully people who migrate over from 1.6 can learn to take the game less seriously and learn to just have fun :)

Anyhow, I've managed to start a post with no intention of writing about games and ended up writing about it anyway. So, I'm gonna stop now and give this lengthy post a worthy end with a picture of my dog.


Bye! XD

No comments: