Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Homecoming

My uncle died on the morning of the 10th of October, 2011.

Coincidentally, it was his daughter's (my cousin's) birthday. I can't imagine receiving a worse present on the day I was meant to celebrate my life.

I'm flying home in roughly 4 hours or so for the funeral. I have applied for Special Consideration for RMIT to delay my assignment's due dates as I will be home for a week, losing precious time to work on them.

The people who I spoke today didn't have much sympathy. :/ They were just like oh okay, you will have to bring documentation yadda yadda yadda within 5 working days of your application. As if I was applying for a holiday. My lecturer just went 'mmhmm' when I told him I was leaving the country for a while. Another one just told me to let him know if my application for a delayed due date was successful.

My sister told me that the people she dealt with at her uni were very sympathetic, telling her they were sorry for our loss blablabla. What a difference. Oh well.

I know I can't do anything if I go home, but I just needed to say goodbye to him.

I remember my sis and I being his favourite nieces. I remember the time he bought us teddy bears, which I told him I'd named 'Maisie' after a cartoon I saw that day. He played with me for a while. He used to go and tapao our favourite tao fu fa when he knew we were visiting his house for breakfast or dinner. He was the only uncle who packed our angpows in all 1 dollar bills for new year when we were kids, cause he knew we'd take the money to school to buy food.

I miss him.

I can't believe he's gone. Although we never spoke much, him being the strong, silent type of guy, his presence was significant during my frequent visits to their home.

He was my favourite uncle, and I will miss him so, so much.

Rest well, dear teow teow. May you drink and be merry with gee teow and daddy up there. :)
I will always remember you.

<3

No comments: