Sunday, July 29, 2012

Gurl gamerzz /eyeroll

For non-gamers/people too lazy to trawl through another long post, here's a summary of my whole blog post: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/563041

(p.s. Cooking Mama is one of my favourite casual games ever)

My body is aching. Normally people would say that after a particular vigorous bout of exercise, but mine is due to the opposite - a complete lack of exercise. I've had DotA marathons for the past two days (and nights) - I played almost 12 hours straight from 6pm to 6am yesterday, stopping only for a shower and a meal.

I didn't even realize it. Only during the last game I decided to check the time - and it was 5.40 am! At that point, I felt like throwing up and was woozy from sitting/staring at a screen for too long. The first thing that came into my mind was 'SHIT! Have I really been playing for 12 hours already?' and the second 'oh my god no I don't want to be one of those gamers who have a heart attack and die after 40 consecutive hours of gaming.'

I used to think that oh, they're just exceptionally fanatical/stupid gamers who value their progress in the game over their own well-being, and should not be used as examples to represent the gaming community as whole.

And then last night happened.

I honestly didn't realize that I had been playing for so long, because I had excellent company and enjoyed the game. -__- Oh well, anyway I had just beaten my previous gaming marathon record of 10 consecutive hours on CS 1.6 (no food breaks though). Not sure how I feel about that, but now I have a new record. /shrug

Anyway, it was interesting that I met 2 self-proclaimed girls on Garena last night. (I say that because they may actually be guys who pretend to be girls for special treatment or whatever.) And oh my gosh! I was so irritated by both of them!

Girl no.1: Omg I'm a gamer princess your world revolves around me you silly boiz

The first girl was babbling on in the channel to some curious guys who were asking if she was really a girl, and she replied with 'ya, sorry girls can play dota also now ok?' And I'm like BITCH PLEASE. I've been playing DotA since I was 15 (2006...omg it's been that long already), and I'm absolutely sure that other girls have been playing even before then.

-_- Anyway since it's not common to meet other girls on Garena who expose their identity, I tried to make friends with her when she asked whether anyone had a team of 5. I said yes, I do; does she want to have a 5v5 match? I also said that my teammates were currently having a meal break though, and if she can't wait then to please go ahead and play against other teams.

And she responded with a few silly and/or irrelevant questions like 'really ah? you got 5?' and 'you wanna fight me ah?' and 'how long ahhhh? Later you waste my time and let me to wait zzzz', and I'm like ok fuck you ah lian, go and play with other people la. (Ok, I didn't say that, I just said 'ok go ahead and play first lo :)')

OH GOD FORBID SOMEONE SHOULD ALLOW HER TO WAIT.

I already said that if she couldn't wait, then DON'T WAIT FOR US. Instead, she made such a big deal about letting her princessy ass wait for a game. (Also, she was the one asking if anyone had a team of 5 who would like to play against her team, so when I respond that yes I do, I MEAN yes I do. Still need to ask 'really ah?', 'wan fight me ah?' NO SHIT, THAT IS WHY I RESPONDED TO YOUR REQUEST. You trying to act cute is it? asdf@££*$$@$*%!(*)$)

In my mind, I was wondering whether I was ever such a snobbish diva when I first started playing DotA, expecting people to accommodate my wants and needs 24/7. Geez, ok. =___=

Girl no.2: omg im a girl and i beat you yay hooray for me my vagina triumphed over all your penises!

And THEN. The second girl was even more annoying. My friend made a joke before the game started, saying he 'wanted to rampage, haha'. A rampage is when you kill 5 heroes consecutively within a limited time frame, and besides early game, this almost always means a complete annihilation of the opposing team by a single player.

So ok, I thought it was clear to everyone that he was merely jesting and the game began without any issues. However, from middle game, it was clear that we were going to lose. (1 friend disconnected, another was playing a new hero he knew nothing about, and I was playing Techies, which essentially is a passive hero that normally doesn't participate in active combat.)

And that was alright, because you win some, you lose some, right? But NO, at the end of the game when the opposing team was about to seal their victory, one of the opposing players decided to talk shit and it went something like this:

"haha so noob say wan rampage is it? noob gg la"

And I replied jokingly, no we can't rampage because there's only 4 people. (The opponent had 1 leaver as well.)

And the player replied: "fukin noob we also 4 ppl la" and I was like yes, that's EXACTLY what I meant. -_-

So we had a little 'chat' going back and forth for a while until the player ran out of logical things to say, and this little gem came out:

"noobs i'm a girl you all lost to a girl haha so noob"

And my friends started laughing over Skype as I replied:

"Well, I'm a girl too. Fair? Are you that proud to be a girl? What do you want? Want us to give you a cookie is it? Here have a cookie for the amazing achievement of being a girl! *gives cookie*"


(Ok, it wasn't phrased as eloquently as that, but you get the gist of it.)

My friend and I started laughing at her (actually, just typing 'hahahaha' in public chat. Yea ok, lame right?) and she remained silent until the game ended shortly after.

I REALLY hate girl gamers like these. For one, saying 'haha you lost to a girl' is sexism towards your fellow girls. You are implying that girls are naturally not as good at games, and by using it to insult male gamers, you are effectively saying 'you play worse than a girl, you noob.'

*throws hands in the air in frustration*

Here's the basic protocol all female gamers SHOULD abide by:

1. Don't expect special privileges for simply having an extra X chromosome. People shouldn't be expected to accommodate your every whim just because UR A GURL, oohlala! 
2. Don't ask people to 'go easy on you because you are a girl.' It just devalues your own capabilities and those of your female peers. 
3. Don't EVER, EVER use the line 'haha you lost to a girl' as an insult. Because the only person you're insulting is YOURSELF (and other female gamers).

My friend has been guilty of throwing the 3rd line as an insult to an opponent before, but I forgave him because the opponent was totally goading him and trying to light a fire under his ass (and also because it seemed to work -o- sigh.)

Okay come on now, fellow girl gamers. We are just 'gamers', not 'GIRL gamers'. Whether you have a vagina or not does not dictate how you should be treated and how you are expected to perform in games.

Anyway, I'll conclude this post with an eloquently-put statement that sums up my feelings about GURL GAMERZZZZ:


Click on the picture to enlarge, or click [here] to go to the original tumblr post.

No comments: