Sunday, March 6, 2011

New year, new classes

A friend of the enemy is no true friend of mine. Pals maybe, but when there is no trust, how can we be friends?

It's 24 degrees celcius outside and I feel hot in my room. -___- I've just finished the first week of my second year at uni and I've met all my new lecturers...and I like them a lot.

Digital Painting, Lighting and Printing

Taught by a guy in his late 20s, Australian-born with Singaporean parents. He was never formally educated in art, but he taught himself because he loved it and wasn't really interested in IT like his parents wanted him to be...and look where he is now. You can only see thumbnails for now, but trust me, his work is great. And to think that was from only 6 years of self-tutoring, it really gives me hope that one day I can be as good as my peers despite my late start.


One piece of advice I liked? If a designer talks big but is reluctant to show you his work, take those words with a big pinch of salt, because it's likely to be just that - words.


Our assignment: Create and paint a post-apocalyptic scene and character


Design for Interactive Media 1

Taught by the second year coordinator. I like him. He seems confident and expects the best of us without putting to much pressure. He reminds me of my parents who don't ask for straight As, but ask for and expect the best effort from us. Oh yea, and he just got his PhD (in some game environment thingie) so he's a Doctor now!


One piece of advice I liked? Second year is not like first year. You may have improved dramatically when you transitioned from high school to first year, but you're not going to improve as much this year. Don't get me wrong, you will still improve, but more subtly. Don't let this discourage you. Keep going and you will never slide back down the hill again in terms of skill and ability.


Our assignment: Create a web-browser/facebook-based game using Unity 3D.


Sound Design

Taught by a slightly wacky but fun guy who talks way too loud. He actually gave me a migraine that first class when I made the mistake of coming late and having to sit next to him and his booming voice for 3 hours. He rants, but he's meticulous in his work. He seems to know what he's doing and loves what he's doing. Also, he has his own sound gallery with 18,000+ sounds that he personally collected over the years. ^__^ It's free to use and people based in Australia can download 50 free sounds per day - sadly for people from other countries, it's 1 free sound per day. :p


One piece of advice I liked? If you're going to make a mistake, be proud of it! Make a fantastic mistake and don't regret it. Stand up, wave your hands around and shout that you made a mistake - if you're going to do it, do it loud and do it proud.


Our assignment: To create a design document and create a sound-scape using sounds we collect and FMOD.


Media Cultures 2

The first class was delayed until next week, but I assume that the lecturer would be same as Media Cultures 1.

Our assignment: Last year's students had to create a physical game, meaning no computers or screens or technology involved. We made a board game last year, Tata and I, and we scored 46/50 :) However, I have a feeling a physical game will be harder. Games like tag, maybe? Pepsi-Cola? Statue dance? What?


All in all, this year is looking up. The classes actually match the title, unlike last year which was so misleading. I'm enjoying myself a little. I even don't mind watching 2 of my friends - a new couple carry out extreme PDA in front of me while I awkwardly play with my food.

Remind me to not go to the beach alone with a new couple. Expect extreme kissing, hugging, rolling around in the sand, picking her up and carrying her around....O____O But I like both of them, so it's not as disgusting as I expected. Imagine if my friend went out with a horrible guy or girl and started being lovey-dovey in front of me...BLEARGH!

And I guess I don't really mind cause I know how they feel. Being apart for 4 months right after kick-starting a relationship...it's not the easiest thing in a world. And the relief that comes with being back together again is unspeakable.

:) Gonna cook some maggi and head out for grocery shopping. Smell ya later!

No comments: