Thursday, January 27, 2011

Bold curve

Sounds like Blackberry names yea?

So I just came back from Singapore with my family and my boy. I've been there more than 20 times so I'm not going to gush too much about my experience. However, something happened there that ticked me off. Okay, it was a small thing but it was irritating all the same.

I was shopping with Sam and we decided to go have a look at Levi's store in Takashimaya. At first, I wasn't very interested because I'd been to the Levi's factory outlet in US and besides being much cheaper there, (I got a pair at $27...rofl at all of you who are willing to pay RM300 for a pair of regular jeans) Levi's wasn't really cut out for me.

I'm skinny and have long legs, so even though it's a US brand and  they have long inseams, (I'm a 33/34") the waist is generally way too big for me.

However, I thought I'd give it a try since I was there and I had put on some weight since visiting the US outlet.

To my delight, I saw that they now had 3 different cuts for girl's jeans, known as the Levi's Curve ID. (-_-) The three were Slight curve, Demi curve and Bold curve.

Intrigued, I took a closer look and read each description. After some contemplation, I decided that I would give Bold Curve a try (jeans are generally loose at the waist.)

I browsed around and found a model I liked. I handed it to the salesguy and asked for a 27. He looked at the jeans, looked at me, then walked over to another salesgirl and started whispering (quite loudly and not very discreetly at all.)

"Eh, she wants this in 27, but I don't think she can fit."
"Yea, I doubt it."
"Go find another one for her."
"Okay okay."

The salesgirl walked back to the rack I was standing next to and started looking through the piles. She handed me pair of black jeans that didn't look quite like the one I asked for. I looked at it and looked back at her.

She said "I don't think you can wear the other one. You should try this instead."

I was like okay, fine. I'll give it a try.

I went to the dressing room and pulled it up over my ass. The button didn't even come CLOSE to being able to close. In fact, I couldn't even zip it up, it was so narrow.

I took it off and looked at it. It was a Slight Curve in 26. It was NOT the model I requested and DEFINITELY not my size.

Cheebye. I know I look skinny but just get me the damn size I asked for okay? I like jeans. I buy jeans ALL the time, although I don't wear them in Malaysia any more cause it's too hot. I should know what my size is. I don't need you and your buddy there patronizing me and suggesting that I have a flat ass just because I'm thin. -_-

Or if you want to downgrade me 2 models, at LEAST get me the right size. No need to treat me like some idiotic bimbo who doesn't know how to shop for her own clothes.

Bah. I don't even know why I was so agitated. I think it was the way they whispered to each other and looked so doubtful. Even if you think I have a flat ass, at least get me the model I wanted and let me try it on.

Who knows? It may fit for all you know. And even if it doesn't, I can always ask to try a smaller model. YOU don't get to decide what's best for me. You can offer advice, not make my decisions.

The point is, you don't just assume you know better than your customer just because you work in a jeans shop. The vital part is that NO ONE knows my body better than I do, least of all some shop worker meeting me for the first time.

It's okay if I ask: "Which model do you think would suit me?" and you answered: "I think you should try the slight curve."

But it is different when I say "Can I get the bold curve in a size 27?" and you try to sneak me a tinier size without telling me.

Okay. I'm overreacting a little, but you can see the difference right? I don't like snobby or patronizing sales assistants, period.

I don't even mind when the bra fitter says I should try an A, because gosh darn it, she's right! AND she says it in a nice and non-judgemental tone of voice.

Pah! If you wanna patronize me, at least do it right.

Or better, just DON'T!

>:(

On a brighter note, meet my new baby, Cocoa!


He's a chocolate-coloured weasel and he's soft and cuddly. ^__^ Sam bought him for me for 10 bucks! So cheap right right? :D

No comments: